PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 14th May 2008, 19:48
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
MS

Agreed. I firmly believe the Air Cdre's admission is a cynical attempt at damage limitation, thought by MoD to be the minimum necessary to (a) complement Browne's previous acceptance of liability while (b) trying to prevent the Coroner digging deeper and going higher to where, demonstrably, the real problems lie. This is so transparent it's laughably naive and illustrates, again, the arrogance of power.

If the latter were to occur, the attempt at compartmentalisation will fail as it will become increasingly obvious (to those who don't already know) that the problems are not confined to Nimrod. This is a simple fact, as the airworthiness regulations are standardised. Mr Walker isn't daft.

I should add, in fairness, that my opinion doesn't necessarily mean I think the Air Cdre cynical. I don't know him, but I have in the past witnessed the appalling pressures placed on staffs to lie or deceive in order to protect more senior staffs and hide their maladministration. To those who are really to blame, he's "only" an Air Cdre. I've also witnessed, first hand, attempts to hang someone out to dry for a fatal accident, knowing very well that he was innocent. There are many here who know exactly what I'm talking about.