PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New big prop, facing the A320 & 737: TurboLiner.
Old 14th May 2008, 18:20
airfoilmod

Keesje

Fascinating effort, just great. I like the DLC (from the 1011?) that mitigates the low level burbling. I think you're off base on the "wheeltug" concept, though. Anything that incorporates ground handling costs in favor of the Landing authority is not a good economic design. In other words, once my aircraft is on the deck, it's a truck. Airplanes are not good trucks (or tugs), and logically it is counter design to try to mitigate what is arguably the ground's duty. I would try to interest others in building new tug designs, vehicles that are more versatile and can be designed to travel (while towing) greater distances. If you look at the cost of carrying around (wheeltug) extra weight, over the useful life of your aircraft, then add maintenance, I don't see the advantage. I guess I'm saying tugs don't fly, A/C don't tug. Offering an expensive perk to the ground authority without payment, is not good business. If you're flying into tugless strips, be happy with your propellors, not your Jet sucking hot pipes. I think you'll like Hotel. Keep going, all the best.

Airfoil