PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Does "Challenge and Response" Mean
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2008, 13:20
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was a systematic, item by item "challenge" and "response" in TR training,
As it should be. That is what you ought to be doing on line ops too.
but in reality, the Captains flick through everything in double quick time and say "done, done, done"
Sloppy, undisciplined. How much are they being paid?
or ask me to start half way down the list.
That is what the NTSB or AAIB would call an intentional violation of SOP, when they examine the CVR post-incident.

Your operations manual ought to have a section on checklist procedure and use of checklists. Look it up and refresh your memory. Your best defence as a newbie FO is not "I dont feel comfortable", it is "I dont understand. FCOM 10.34.1 says 'do it like this!' Shall I start again?"

Have a chat with your training captain, fleet manager and/or chief pilot about your concerns. If it is a decent operation they will be most interested and should be very supportive.

"Challenge and Response" seems to be confused in some posters minds with "Read and Do" vs "Do then Verify" (aka "Scans" or "area of responsibility')

It is possible to use a Challenge and Response checklist in both cases. That is, an After Takeoff checklist read by the PNF to 'himself' to confirm after takeoff 'scan' actions, and a Engine Fire or Severe Damage checklist 'read and do' can both be done as Challenge and Response.

The Pilot reading the checklist calls the Challenge, and the pilot responsible for the switch position or system setting either makes the change, or looks at the the control/system/switch and calls out the setting in Response. The pilot reading the Challenge may be challenging himself.

It is a question of flight discipline. If you apply the proper discipline, it works. You don't just read it out like a 10 yo reciting prayers at a church service his mother made him attend. We are supposed to be the leaders, the professionals, the 'believers' if you like. We read the words, we look for the truth, and we are ready to correct our errors. We aim to produce an error free, smoothly executed flight, but we know that in all likelihood we will commit 3 unforced errors each sector, and we don't know what they will be!

Checklists are designed to ensure that important configuration changes have been made prior to entering the next phase of flight.

Its a shame your line colleagues are dragging you down, instead of encouraging you to attain the next level of professionalism.

Last edited by ITCZ; 14th May 2008 at 13:40.