PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 340 - lookin' for advice...
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2008, 12:36
Lifeisgood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
340A takeoff procedure

Here is how I takeoff in my 340A, in brief form and I welcome any comments or suggestions;
  • All pre-takeoff checklists performed.
  • This includes accelerate stop distance, which is approximately 3,000 ft by the book; however I prefer a 4,000 ft minimum runway length.
  • Obtain clearances as required.
  • Lineup on runway, brakes on and increase power evenly to 30 inches MP for three seconds (recommended by Ram Aircraft) and then apply full power while releasing brakes.
  • Check for engines gauges in the Green.
  • Call our VMC speed, 74 kts.
  • Call out Rotation Speed, 91 kts and Rotate, one may also rotate at Rotation minus five knots, but I prefer the higher speed. This is due to wanting to avoid as much as possible any Vmc issues.
  • My right hand is on the throttles at max power.
  • Depending on weight, CG and DA, actual rotation occurs in low 90’s
  • Takeoff occurs and climbout to Vyse, 100 kts. This takes about three seconds from Rotation.
  • If anything coughs, pukes, thumps or rattles during this phase of takeoff, I will immediately retard the throttles and land straight ahead.
  • Now is decision time. By selecting gear up with my right hand, I am committing to continue the takeoff. I keep my right hand on the gear lever until I see three green lights and I do not put my right hand back on the throttles.
  • Accelerate to Vy, 108kts and climbout straight ahead or as directed by ATC to 1000 ft AGL minimum at full power.
  • During the initial climbout to 1.000 ft AGL I gradually nose over at the top of the climb profile to approximately 140 kts and reduce power to 32 in MP, 2500 RPM and 1500 EGT, a quick engine scan, and proceed with departure as planned.

I believe this is the best method to pilot a 340A on takeoff. Advantages are;
  • You have adequate runway for a rejected takeoff.
  • You accelerate through the Vmc speed before Rotation so that Vmc risk is minimized.
  • You immediately accelerate to Vyse and then select “Gear Up” as THE decision making moment to commit to the climbout, regardless of engine failure, and treat an engine failure as an in flight emergency.
  • At decision speed you are at Vyse 100 kts, and then accelerate to Vyse plus 8 kts. In case of engine failure and the ensuing long moments to identify, verify and feather, a small loss in speed will result in the target speed of Vyse.
  • I rarely fly at MGTOW and find the SE climb performance to be 500 fpm or better at GTOW minus 400 lbs.

Last edited by Lifeisgood; 15th May 2008 at 00:12.