PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2008, 11:47
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The challenge is the thing!

You want Sellotape? I must have a roll or two left from my career peak as Deputy (Acting) Chief Pilot Lagos Fixed-wing, "borrowed", and that right from under the nose of Guess-Who. Hah! (I used to have to itemise how many bog rolls and light bulbs we got through each week, if memory serves.)

My fave memory of that time was Godwin C. Jonah, Chief Executive of Goddymore Enterprises PLC LTD appearing in my office one week to get naira for a case of Peak milk. I crossed his greasy palm with silver and off he went, leaving a thin trail of slime.

Next week he was back with a tale of woe. One of "de big ogahs" was very, very angry and this was MY fault. Yes, "de big ogah" had been given a cup of Nescafé with powdered milk, not deluxe Peak milk so that he "shouted" poor Godwin. Now Godwin needed more naira for Peak milk, a detail I had overlooked.

"But, wait a minute... didn't you just get money last week for a case of Peak milk? How could you use up a whole case of milk in just one week?"

"Ah! No, sah! De Peak milk be fo' US! De powdah milk be fo' de passenjah!"

"Godwin, if you are so thick that you don't know to give your "ogahs" Peak milk then I really cannot help you! Give them Peak milk or else! Now get out of my office! Go, and never return until you run out of Peak milk!"

Slither, slither, off he went... Peace was restored as I began to understand just why this fellow upstairs was so insistent upon knowing each detail.

Staples, well, you obviously never figured out that you took them out of the various Company hand-outs, hammered them straight and stuck them together for re-use. Weren't you told to do that? How strange...

I don't know about "The Shawshank Redemption" at all. If I had to put him in some movie role I guess I would have NEO down for "Dog Boy" from "Cool Hand Luke", just for how I remember him with his "Bell 419".