PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Close Essendon Airport!
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2008, 10:59
Teal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No foxing...

I hope I am not being naive when I put my trust the "Airports Act (1996)" and the legal agreement (announced below) between the Federal Govt. and current lessees (Fox Group, etc). You can find the masterplan at the following link:

http://www.essendonairport.com.au/im...lan%202007.pdf

Its future as an airport - at least for 50 years - seems assured. But the Fox Group will develop its "non-airfield precincts" to within an inch of its life, for sure. But no closure.

09 April 2003
WT31/2003

APPROVAL OF DRAFT ESSENDON AIRPORT MASTER PLAN

The draft Master Plan for Essendon Airport has been approved, Acting Minister for Transport and Regional Services, Wilson Tuckey, announced today.
"This plan is in keeping with the Commonwealths policy that Essendon Airport will remain operating as a general aviation airport over the long term," Mr Tuckey said.
Each operator of a leased Federal airport, such as Essendon Airport, is required to submit a master plan for the Ministers approval under the Airports Act 1996. The operator of Essendon Airport, EAL, put forward a planning proposal, which includes:
  • retention of the two-runway system;
  • relocation of aviation operations in the north-west to a more central location;
  • consolidation of aviation facilities consistent with aviation operations;
  • identification of land surplus to aviation requirements suitable for commercial or industrial redevelopment;
  • redevelopment of existing commercial areas; and
  • development of areas in the north of the airport which were formerly vacant or used for aviation uses for a variety of business uses
"Essendon airport holds significant historical value in the story of Australian aviation. This plan will breathe new life into the airport which was Victoria's main airport until Tullamarine was built in the 1970s," Mr Tuckey said.
The Airport lessee company must publish the Final Master Plan within 90 days of approval, and make copies of the Final Master Plan available to the public.
The Commonwealth signed a lease with Essendon Airport Limited (EAL) on 30 June 1998 for the Essendon Airport site. The lease is for a term of fifty (50) years, with an option to renew the lease for a further term of forty-nine (49) years.

Last edited by Teal; 14th May 2008 at 11:58.