PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus vs Boeing
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2008, 10:19
GE90115BL2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another uninformed myth shot down... ( not surprising, you guys usually go for the hype without any prior background check).
I will post you a current company Notam again, seems you didn't read it the first time round.

not a myth mate, real.

AIRBUS: VOR APPROACHES WITH A FINAL APPROACH TRACK BETWEEN
THE RADIALS 006 AND 016 MUST NOT BE USED ON A340-300 AIRCRAFT

WHICH DO NOT HAVE MODIFIED VOR RECEIVERS.

I just spoke to an Airbus skipper mate and he confirmed this, most of our 330's are fixed ( after 3 + years ) but none of the 340's.

This means they cannot do any VOR type approaches ( even using the needles ) between the 006 and 016 radials. This also includes Utapho in Thailand.

Not only that the Airbus fleet cannot do managed Approaches in Rnav at the moment due to a software problem with the approach coding.

The outer wing on your Bus is quite thin, and it has a fuel tank close to the surface? When you land in a warm moist place with maybe 3 or 4 tonnes of nice COLD fuel in the tank it quickly forms Frost/ice on the surface. If you're quick you should have transferred fuel to the inners before you landed ( if you could )

Remember this was an unplanned landing en-rte to Aussie, they didn't have time to transfer the fuel and didn't know it would cause ice.

I've seen Philippine Airlines 330 on the ground in Narita at 0900 with ice/frost on the outboard sections of both wings in +5 c.
( I saw it from the terminal walking to my gate, I was checking the wings of other aircraft on the way to see if we too might have to de-ice. )

To my knowledge it cannot happen on the 777, our wing skin is thicker and I've never seen a Boeing grounded in Darwin because cold fuel caused ice on the wing. The only Boeing that seems to suffer from this is the 737-800 series, happens a lot in Melbourne to Aussie operators in Winter.

I spoke to the Air France 777-300ER crew in NRT about 1 year ago. ( they happily showed me through their brand spanking new ER ) They said it was the best Aircraft AF had ever introduced and was a fantastic machine to fly, better than the Airbus they all said. They loved the performance, the ease of reading the simple Boeing Fcoms, the CCD, the EICAS and they especially loved the overhead crew rest area.

New Airbus Pilot: "what's it doing"?

Old Airbus Pilot: "I don't know but it's doing it again"

back to you...

Last edited by GE90115BL2; 14th May 2008 at 10:33.