PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blocked Eustachian Tube
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2008, 05:28
Hufty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure about ET muscle exercises....AFAIK there are four muscles that control the tubes so is there a risk that if exercise one, perhaps the others will work less effectively? Kind of like having poor posture and the jaw muscles developing oddly as the chew with your head in an odd position?

I have seen that list of tube opening techniques and for flying the best one I reckon is "Voluntary tubal opening"...I can keep them open for a few seconds at a time but it does hurt my jaw which might in instelf be contributing to my ETD...ironic really

There was a post right at the beginning of this thread with some useful "what have I learnt" stuff...(sorry dont' know how to do quotes so have just pasted it in!)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously try steam inhalation, that might shift the mucus.

Nasal sprays - Nasonex or Flixonase. Could try a good dose of Otrovine but can only use it for a week I think.

Also, expectorants (e.g. Benadryl) are designed to work on chesty coughs but can also loosen mucus elsewhere.

Drink LOADS of water - if you are well hydrated it can help it run out.

Ear Candles - bit crazy - didn't work for me but you never know.

Acupuncture.

Herbal remedies to open up the tubes - tried loads but can't remember the names...a good herbalist will help you.

Cut out dairy, alcohol, starchy foods and load up on fruit and veggies....all can create mucus (search for "mucus forming foods" on Google).

Get your GP to do allergy tests and food intolerance tests for the same reason.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I find that drinking a lot of water does help as does going to the gym. These decongestants work (as far as I am told) by stimulating a kind of adrenalin response which causes the tubes to open up....fight or flight response I guess. Working hard at the gym generates the same kind of response and it kind of clears my head as does drinking a lot of water.

Interestingly (and nobody believes me) I suffer less when I am flying as HP not NHP. Perhaps because I am busy operatng the plane rather than sitting doing the paperwork there is a higher level of adrenalin release (esp. on take off etc.) Perhaps it is just that I am thinking more (descent planning etc.) that my mind isn't on it?? Who knows..

WG have you been to a chiropractor?