Old 13th May 2008, 22:16
Doc Strangebrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ice in the mix?

The fuel has been tested extensively; it is of good quality, in
many respects exceeding the appropriate specification,
and shows no evidence of contamination or excessive
water.
'or excessive water.'... that implies that there was indeed water in the fuel they tested...but not a lot...?

These tests are collectively aimed at understanding and, if possible,
replicating the fuel system performance experienced on
the day and the potential for formation of restrictions
And on the day there was a

region of particularly cold
air, with ambient temperatures as low as -76ºC, in the
area between the Urals and Eastern Scandinavia.
Now they then report fuel freezing temps and test results which appear to be within bounds...but not about the possibility of what happened to the water in the system...which apparently was not excessive...that is as maybe but water and temps as low as recorded results in ice ...surely...somewhere in the system...wherever that water is...and no matter how little...

These tests are collectively aimed at understanding and, if possible,
replicating the fuel system performance experienced on
the day and the potential for formation of restrictions.
"and the potential for formation of restrictions"

It does sound as though ice in the fuel... formed from whatever water there was present... might be what they are actively considering as a possible culprit...

Seems there is nowhere else they can go really...all other systems seem hunky dory...

But then again I appreciate there is still a fair way to go in this investigation...but if an extremely rare combination of environmental and system parameters came together in a certain manner...it might explain a good deal...

A pressurised fuel tank might complicate the phase change...but at temps below -20 ...not a lot methinks...you still get ice....

Before I get thrown to the proverbial...or even in the proverbial...I do not have slightest idea of what actually occurred...but something most certainly did...I offer the above from the prospective of just reading the latest report...tis not a conspiracy theory...just speculation...

But I accept I might be ...possible am... in total error...

And other are conclusions are possible....