PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 13th May 2008, 21:56
umbrella1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, just some factual points. I am typing in the dark-no I'm not a Fighter Controller- so please don't rip apart my spelling etc!

The Pilot age limit for the RAF is for civilian entry, you must be 24 years and 0 months on your first day of IOT. OASC will take people through who are 23 and 10 months. If you have a fantastic aptitude and you did well in the tests, they are not going to be foolish enough to reject you. Many seem to think that the age limit is 23 but it is not. If however, you apply to be a pilot from the ranks the age limit is 26....geddit?? If at first you don't succeed....

The pass mark for pilot aptitude is 112. That is not to say all those who pass are in with a chance. If you passed pilot but stoofed in with the WSO test, why would you make a good single seat pilot? A low pass is not as competitive as a high pass. Although the RN brethren may think the bar is set higher for them than the RAF, the tests are the same and all are done within OASC so go figure....

Just because a branch like Intelligence is highly competitive, do not let that put you off. You may be that perfect candidate with a freakishly high aptitude and good exercise and interview results.

Unless you are going for a branch that requires a degree, it doesn't matter if you do not have one. However, not much is better than those 3 years of fun and frolics. OASC will not quiz why you didn't get a 1st if you worked dead hard and are pleased with your 2:2. Similarly, they don't tend to get their knickers in a twist if you had a bad day and ended up with a 3rd. S**t happens. If however, you were a lazy toad who did naff all, they'll winkle that out of you and expose you for the lazy good for nothing you really are!

Unless there is a RAF doctor here on pprune, knowledgable about selection medical criteria, pay NO attention to the (very well intentioned) forummers as you may end up in the dwang as a result.

Lastly, good luck and try the Student Room, its full of people who have jsut been through the whole process.

See the spelling mistakes for all you eagle eyed out there???!!!

Much love