PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do BA pilots really deserve our support re Openskys?
Old 13th May 2008, 20:05
Uncle Silas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4468 said:
Add to that the nightmare that is LHR, and it is easy to see that anyone who likes to fly BA's PREMIUM PRODUCT, would probably be quite pleased to fly direct CDG/BRU (anywhere you care to mention) to JFK etc. etc...avoiding LHR completely.
I completely agree with the logic. However, if the market now permits BA (or anyone else) to operate, say CDG or BRU to JFK, then why not do that? I would have thought, given the percentage of an operation's overhead that is represented by pilot wages, that the potential profitability would not be that much different, and the pax would not then be flying a second rate BA service.
More, the competition would presumably have to work harder if up against the premium product.
What am I missing?
It can't be that LHR is bypassed, since that's going to happen anyway. Surely it can't be just the profit margin? I reckon it's the strategic thing and that BA Board, given their indebtedness (HAND SOLO TAKE NOTE - I SUSPECT THAT SILVERJET OWE A LOT LESS THAN BA AND THAT THEY ARE BETTER LEVERAGED AS WELL!) have realised that their business model needs to change. Not unnaturally, the staff don't agree. Glad I'm not on board, the ship is listing, the pax are disembarking to the lifeboats and the crew are mutinying - got to be good for the rest of us!