PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bouncing on landing
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2008, 19:53
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, that got a clear answer didn't it!

There are several reasons, factors and options. You're ahead of some in being bothered by it, and working to correct it - but you'll have to evaluate what's causing it in a specific case:

In my opinion, and my case it's *usually* too much speed, and trying to land, rather than waiting for the plane to land that sets up the bad landing. However, too high ROD can also cause the bounce, especially in a cessna with the springy(er) u/c - a warrior absorbs better). That high ROD can be caused by too late a flare, too low speed, or both. Obviously the slow bounce is the dangerous one.

If you have space and control - I believe you can stick with it, but never put the stick forward! If you're slow, or short of space, give it power and go around. Initially on go around I look for level, then speed, then pitch. Don't simply pitch up without being sure it's got sufficient speed to fly. Also think flap retraction.

e.g. first time I flew a 172 4 up, I flared late (where I would 1 up), whilst a bit quick. The resulting bounce was rather special(!). I did have plenty of space, and plenty of flying speed, so leveled it off, and got it at the 2nd try.

FYI, I'm of similar powered experience to yourself.