PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus vs Boeing
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2008, 18:57
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote : "So I'll describe it to you again:
Quite a few new guys and girls have caused an unintentional go-around while doing a managed speed approach. They went OUT of the detent to give it a burst ( forward of the detent )and then they put the levers back INTO the Detent straight after. Below 100' THAT GIVES YOU TOGA. then it's too late................."going around"
"
And I say it a bit more clearly : That's BULLLLLSHIIIT !
You can't have a Go-around without the thrust levers in the TOGA detent.(Contrarily to a 744 under MDA)
Please check your sources again.

Quote : "...consider that the safest thing on an airplane is a highly experienced stick-and-rudder pilot..."
Yes, there were so many of them, they are all over mountain slopes. I prefer a good operator to a stick-and-rudder jock anytime (some of them have become very good operators, too).

Quote : "You can keep you plastique fantastique "
Are you refering to the 787 ?

Quote : "As I remember the DC-9 was flown with a direct cable to the inverted aileron on the main one. Direct link with direct feel.
"
I give you that one. That doesn't say that the 9 was not a cow.

Quote : "But when I go to work, I want to fly an airplane, not a computer.
"
As far as I know, all FBW airplanes are flown through a computer, and so will those which will follow. To make you believe that it's not there is what I call intellectual dishonesty and limiting the systems capability.

Quote : "If Airbus were half interested in product support and SAFETY they'd provide a software update to FIX the problem."
That's what they do, and these QRH items will disappear as they all do eventually. Like all that have been discovered through line operation or technical trials.

Quote : "Praise the Airbus as much as you want, but a circuit with a DC-10 and its FBW will forever be superior. Set the attitude, hold for 1 second and it flies spot on.
"
1/- I did not know the DC-10 was FBW.
2/- What you describe is what you get on a 'Bus : Leve the 'stick alone and the airplane will fly the latest path you have controlled. On a circling down to the minima, it's priceless.

Quote : "If one was to move the thust levers above the CL detent, then but not as far as TOGA, then back into the CL detent, the AT will disconnect and give you full CLB power. No sign of TOGA or GA pitch commands, just a bucket load of unwanted power very close to Planet Earth.... "
Thanks, Tight Slot. But...
Why would one do that? If anything, the approach speeds given by the FMGS are too conservative. In twelve years on the 'Bus and having worked for the Tech department, I have never heard of that situation. Either you are in A/THR mode and there is plenty of speed or you are on manual flying and to need in this case a thrust over CL is a bit of an overkill (or a wind gradient situation that's out of this world).

GMDS,
Yeah I know, I'm not fun, but this is about a silly war that a few would like to keep waging. To me, being just an airline pilot, I'd take anything my boss and his VP finance will get, and I'll adapt and I will even love it...dealing with its qualities, idiosyncracies and weaknesses. It's just the willy-waving macho trip that hit me. And I want to do the same !
Sorry.

Last edited by Lemurian; 14th May 2008 at 17:17.