PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD80 plane crash in Phuket, Sep. 07
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2008, 18:11
InvestigateUdom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Statistics

I've been curious about the comparative safety records of flight in the US and Thailand. I did a little digging and came up with some values. I'm interested in your feedback and thoughts on improving the accuracy of these values.

Based on this link at the DCA website, I can see Thailand's flight volume, domestic and international for many years past. Ignoring general aviation, mail and military flights, it looks like Thailand managed just under 360,000 flights in the YEAR 2007.

Based on this link at the NATCA site, based on the values for major and regional airlines and flights for hire while ignoring the values for general aviation, mail and military flight, it looks like the US handles about 55,000 flights a DAY.

Do these numbers seem generally correct to you pros? Have I come close to comparing apples with apples? It might be best to respond to me personally than digress on this thread - but that's up to you all.

(Preemptively, I'm including a link to Wikipeadia's discussion of lies, damn lies and statistics.)

Many thanks.