PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot charged for taking helicopter shopping
Old 13th May 2008, 15:25
Backward Blade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I'm not going to say that what this guy did was the smartest thing in the world, especially landing a very expensive piece of equipment for a couple dollars worth of keys...I fly commercially and have a natural tendency to think that way. BUT what was so reckless about it. Did he break the rules or no? He obtained permission, albeit from the wrong authority, and given that ignorance is no excuse his "pp" should be slapped a little. It's single engine but so what...cars have 4 tires and just one blowout can cause alot of problems. Does he need the city's approval? If he does then fine his ass. All in all I don't think he did anything too seriously wrong or dangerous. Hell, given where I land on a daily basis that looks like an airport to me.

As for the wind thing, well, I've done the Scotish/Irish thing and you can bet your royal behind that the winds off the coast of either country will definately put pale to anything a 500 can produce. And by the way, is it Irish Law to be carrying your personal logbook, or were they talking about the A/C Journy Log Book

I have to fly commercially to tickle my flying fetish, but I would give my left nut to be able to go to the store like this bloke in my own personal helicopter. If the Prince can land a Chinook in his girlfriends backyard (of which I have read and don't have any problems with either as a guy does have to fly to stay current, and at least he didn't land that beast in my backyard LOL.) and Tornadoes can continue to scare the ****e out of no brainer tourists trying to drive on the "right" side of the road, (yes that was me! LOL) I think what this guy did deserves a little less attention than what some of you think it deserves.

BWB