PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar Resolution
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2008, 13:59
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nipper2 wrote
Finally, on the way back to my base, another service provider requested a police aircraft to try and identify another zone buster.

As a pilot of a very small aircraft my personal view is that any kind of "them and us" situation is bad.
It's not quite as clear cut as a 'them and us attitude' - several years ago, NATS identified zone infringers in the TMA environment as the biggest risk to safety. It was believed (and in some corners still is), that if there was to be a mid air collision within controlled airspace, it would be caused by a CAS or zone infringer.

NATS and other bodies have spent lots of money designing cutting edge new tools for controllers, and producing educational DVDS, workshops etc for light aircraft flyers. This has had a big impact on the number of infringers, but they still happen far too often.

Often these infringers, although avoided safely, cause multiple go arounds and thousands of pounds worth of fuel is burned in the process.

These people must be identified - not necessarily to punish, but to educate them and provide education for others.

The open reporting system employed in the UK is renowned globally for its positive impact on safety; if an infringer does not know he or she has infringed, then cause and effect is not learned!!

By your very tone Snapper2, you sound like a responsible pilot - unfortunately there are a few out there that think that once they have a licence, they are gods.

It's no different to a new or irresponsible driver who causes cars to swerve violently to avoid them because of their actions... I bet you would not hesitate to agree that these drivers need re-educated or punished. The aviation world is no different!

HeliCraig

If under a FIS, even if wearing a FIS squawk, you are not necessarily being tracked. However if Farnborough LARS saw you straying, they would gently advise you. If Heathrow saw you enter the zone (which they would), they would call Farnborough - thats the beauty and benefit of the Farnborough LARS setup - it can save pilots and controllers grief