PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2008, 12:49
soem dood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saturn V:

[from quoted source]...the 777's fuel contained additives designed to prevent it from freezing under such conditions...
Again, I would say that the Chinese have become quite adept at making their various counterfeits pass known bench tests, such as the stir/optical fuel freeze test mentioned in the thread, so seeing some GCMS results is the point when this concern will finally be put out of my own mind.

GD&L:

Assuming that the engine fuel feeding system is symmetrical and was isolated between the two of them, I can presume we have only one anomaly that was replicated between the 2 existing engines...
Exactly. That very slight difference in behaviour of the two engines that was noted in this incident may be a real keystone in the investigation, if the piping is essentially, but not exactly, the same on both sides, with the laggardly engine being plumbed to the most vulnerable routing...

Another thought... what if the water content was 'acceptable', but certainly not zero.... the 777 has some piping that is prone to internal icing, but was not previously known (i.e. a very hard angle, in a relatively more exposed area...).... this area forms an ice 'seed', and agglomeration begins... more ice as water flows by slowly (near idle) and is frozen on contact, and/or 'waxing'... while, at relatively high flows this behaviour is staved off due to more new warmer fuel washing over the area of vulnerability... but with the right odd mixture of fuel... right water content... right pre-cooling... right lower fuel flow volume for sufficient period of time.... could be just the precise but unlikely combination needed...

In reality, what the heck is left?