PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bouncing on landing
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2008, 11:45
mostlytossas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No mate the last example you describe is a crash and the other is how you get a balloon. A bounce is caused by the wheels (usually main as the nose wheel will usually collapse : see crash ) hitting the ground too heavily before the wings create enough lift in the flair to arrest it. This can be caused by a number of ways such as too late a flair, too low Aof A flair, approach too slow for the weight or too much flap for the weight causing too fast a rate of desent. I don't know what the original bloke that started the thread was flying but I assume he is a student so likely a 2 seat trainer. All of them with 2 bums on board especially if they are 100Kg or thereabout with even 1/2 fuel are about all up weight so the rate of decent will be high if the speed washes off on approach. Add to this full flap like they like to teach these days and that makes matters worse. Bouncing is odds on in this configuration if you don't adjust the speed and rate of decent to allow for it.
Many years ago an old instructor told me that unless you really need full flap due to say a short runway if you are max weight then only use 2 stages of flap and see the difference. I did and in 25 years flying cessnas and pipers can't remember the last bounce I had, improves your landings no end in small puddle jumpers with little difference in the stall speed.