PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do BA pilots really deserve our support re Openskys?
Old 13th May 2008, 11:30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gypsy

I had promised myself I would not write any more on this thread. However....

In response to your claim that Paris/ Brussels are somehow different markets, I would say this. BA runs an extensive European network, frequently bordering on losses. It does this for one major reason. To bring customers into Heathrow to connect with it's longhaul services.

Believe it or not, ticket prices from the continent into LHR, and out to LH destinations are frequently cheaper than to fly LHR direct to those same destinations. It's the way the business works.

BA has so far refused to disclose to ANYONE how many pax currently fly CDG/BRU-LHR-JFK. I wonder why??

Add to that the nightmare that is LHR, and it is easy to see that anyone who likes to fly BA's PREMIUM PRODUCT, would probably be quite pleased to fly direct CDG/BRU (anywhere you care to mention) to JFK etc. etc...avoiding LHR completely.

Since a significant proportion of OS pax would likely have otherwise transferred (albeit uneasily) through LHR, (and soon will not) it is very difficult to sustain the argument that this is somehow a 'different' market.

But of course everyone knows that OS has it's sights set on destinations much further afield than just North America. OS will grow exponentially once created! It will be able to operate any aircraft type to any destination.

Secondly however, in my personal opinion, 'Go' was indeed a different market. It operated, I believe, from Stanstead (no transfer pax) and offered a totally different product to mainline. In other words, it was aimed at different (new) customers. However much it grew it could complement mainline. Though in hindsight, and in all honesty, BALPA may take more interest if it were created today!

Thirdly, BALPA actually isn't trying to prevent ANY pilots from getting jobs. I don't believe there is a single pilot, certainly in BA, who would wish OS to be anything other than a great success for our company. It's expansion for heaven's sake, which is great! We are just concerned with developments we have seen elsewhere in the World where PRECISELY this kind of low key 'separate' start up, has lead to very significant downward pressure on the T&Cs of it's parent's employees.

BALPA have offered a no cost solution to BA, which would satisfy everyone.

Simply put OS pilots on the mainline seniority list.

Nothing else! No outrageous demands. Zilch. Rien. Zip.

BA are risking extremely damaging strike action to prevent this simple, and inexpensive solution.

Why???

It is crystal clear.

BA seeks to artificially create an internal market for it's employees, in which pilots have to 'compete' with each other for work! They will do this on the basis of only one criteria. Cost.

And so we all see our T&Cs deteriorate, until this job pays the absolute minimum. If it happens to us, it will be coming to a workplace near you very soon!

Ensuring we are all on the same seniority list, with the same opportunities, and aspirations, hopefully means, we all stick up for each other. We don't allow a false internal market to develop as we all have a vested interest in each others T&Cs. Simple.

Non of my colleagues have any particular axe to grind with those taking positions with OS. In fact I wish them all the best, and look forward to welcoming them onto the mainline seniority list. However, hopefully I have explained why we are prepared to bring down this whole circus of clowns that BA has become, before we let this one pass!

We have little to lose.

I'm going to return to a 'watching brief' here again I think!

Last edited by 4468; 13th May 2008 at 11:41.