PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infant seatbelts - and general safety pre-take-off
Old 13th May 2008, 09:51
Gibon2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infant seatbelts - and general safety pre-take-off

I would be very interested in views from the professionals - both cabin and flight crew - on the following incident which occurred on a Swiss flight a few months ago.

I was travelling with my wife and baby daughter, then aged about 10 months. After boarding, nobody brought us an infant seat belt. I asked a passing member of the cabin crew, then asked again... and again... the fourth (yes, fourth!) time I asked, we were already taxiing along at a fair clip towards the end of the runway, and I fear I may have spoken rather sharply. The belt was finally brought, and I got my girl strapped in with literally seconds to spare.

My questions are:

1. Was I right to be concerned? I am reasonably confident of holding my daughter securely in turbulence, but a rejected take-off would be another matter. Or are infant seat belts just for the peace of mind of parents, and have no real benefit (hence the lackdaisacal attitude of the crew)?

2. If it happens again, when should I make a fuss? I presume everyone should be strapped in before we start to taxi. If the crew don't respond to the call button, should I stand up and shout?

3. More generally, if we should be lined up on the runway and the engines start spooling up, and I realise something is wrong (no seatbelt for baby, seatbelt not working, wing on fire, whatever), what is the best way to quickly alert the CC and stop the take-off?

Thanks.