PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA hero wants to quit
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2008, 09:50
Starbear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flaps

M. Mouse:

It is a fact that the flaps were moved from their landing position to a lower setting. If you choose not to believe it then wait for the AAIB report.
I assume and hope this was not directed at me as my query was absolutely genuine and I certainly had no inclination to disbelieve the statement. This topic/thread is so large that like many I dip into and out of it and it simply struck me that whilst this flap movement was being openly discussed I could not recall actually reading anything to say it had actually happened. I am perfectly prepared to accept your word and can quite easily believe that you are in a position to know. But you have also set my mind at rest in confirming that I hadn't read any official reference to it.

Separately, I notice with much dismay the daily Telegraph (UK used to be repected daily newspaper) makes the statement that "fuel freezing caused the crash". Nowhere in the latest Special bulletin from the AAIB to which they refer, do the investigators make this assumption or claim. They simply say that their continued focus is along these lines (pardon pun) mainly in the abscence of any other hard faults.

It is very disappointing that papers like the torygraph and many others get away with outrageous statements as fact by the little get out of placing the fact in quotation marks. Are their journalists really incapable of reading and digesting even such a short bulletin and then reporting accurately. Suppose it's more dramatic than "Investigators still have no answer to crash"