PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2008, 08:28
bsieker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arcniz
Originally Posted by bsieker
- Flow stayed low after FMV was fully open (refuting "low-energy fuel" and "foaming fuel" theories)
How does that follow? If fuel were foaming per earlier comments, measured flow would remain low, fuel energy would remain low, and a quick reversal of that condition would not be possible because foam encapsulated vapours would occupy some fair portion of the volume of the flow path, preventing immediate inflow of fuel, even if it were available (given that the foaming would have been caused or initiated by a blockage of some sort to begin with in the tank-HP pump path, and that blockage might well have continued) .

Please explain the logic of your dismissive comment.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was referring to the theories, that foam was pumped at full volume flow to the engines, but only produced low thrust, because the foam would contain only little energy, compared to normal, liquid fuel.

I assume the Fuel Flow Transmitter measures volume flow, and not mass flow.

I am also unsure foam would remain foamy in the high pressure conditions downstream of the HP pump.

Foam anywhere else, contributing to a fuel flow restriction, and allowing only a minor amount of (liquid) fuel to be pumped to the nozzles, would still be a possibility. I am not a fuel chemist, so I won't comment on the likelihood or mechanics of that.