PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 4
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2008, 20:58
Hipennine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressions of MME

Just for a change, I travelled via BMI on the Heathrow today (instead of NCL). Last time through MME was about 7 years ago. Today's experience was not favourable. Entering the terminal building (which at 7.10am was apparently mostly locked up and reminding me of the old Boulogne Port railway station), I was presented by a long snaking queue to get through security (that is the "fast-track" because the other door was locked). The BMI flight was hardly heaving, but there was a GSM dep at about the same time, which seemed pretty busy. Nevertheless, security just couldn't cope with the volume of pax. I overheard one punter who complained being told that it was because that was all the staff they had. The process was constantly interrupted by staff entering and leaving airside (I presume they were staff - they all had high-viz vests, carrying radios, and looking important). Airside, the toilet also reminded me of Boulogne Railway station.

Once on board, the late departure was partially explained by the late re-fuelling caused by the tanker driver not being available on-time !

Returning this evening, fortunately I had a pocketful of change and a £10 note to pay at the parking machine, otherwise I would have had to join the long queue of disgruntled pax at Airport Information negotiating for an exit ticket for the car park, because the machines weren't accepting any credit cards or cash cards.

All in all, it made me appreciate that the NCL experience isn't all that bad !