PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grisoft AVG v8
Thread: Grisoft AVG v8
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2008, 12:07
Tarq57

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
MacBoero,
Sorry for the thread drift. Just could not let that pass.
The latest AVG 8 includes the antispyware application. In theory, this should improve detection and cleaning abilities. Personally, I'd feel OK with it, if there weren't others around that suit me better. Include a good two way firewall and any user should be reasonably well protected.
PPilcher, For a true "set and forget" application...sorry, there really isn't one. Stuff changes all the time, malware methods keep evolving, new vulnerabilities are uncovered in MS and third party software all too frequently. (This is why MS release security updates every month, sometimes more often.)
Norton360 is offered as a "set and forget" program, but I keep reading and hearing of folk who have problems with it. Too often it gets a bit overprotective, and quarantines something that's required.
Kaspersky (since it's been mentioned) does have a very good name. They make AV (The KAV mentioned above) and a suite called KIS. Some users report slowdowns, the majority appear to be very happy with it.
Other (free) alternatives include the one this thread is named for, Avast (rates very well, also includes AS, never given a problem here,) and Avira.
HIPS is considered a particularly good method of preventing malware loading. Instead of blacklist-based scanning (definitions) it simply alerts to unknown applications wantiing to run/access something that could lead to harm, if malicious. They do tend to require a lot more user interaction. One that doesn't pop too many alerts up, at default settings, is PCTools Threatfire. (Bottom right of the page for the free version.)
The latest version of Boclean, although based again on blacklists, is pretty much set and forget. If a known trojan attempts to load, it will pop an alert. It doesn't scan, only alerts to something attempting to run in memory. Include a demand scanner or two, like Superantispyware, update and run it once a week (or if "symptoms" occur), include a good two way firewall (see Here for some tests) and anyone should be fairly secure. For now, anyway. Also important, of course, to backup data regularly, should a reformat/reinstall ever become necessary. Encrypt any really sensitive data.
djMcrae, I was not boldly promoting AVG8, it's not actually my cup of tea. I was defending it (and, by association, some other freeware generally) from an unwarranted accusation. And I'll continue to do so.
Regarding your edit, believe it or not, there are organizations that monitor the behaviour of security (or any) software. Programs that fall into the category you describe are defined as rogue. Spyware warrior, run by Eric Howes, maintains a large online database of these. AVG most definitely is not included on that list. They'd be out of business in a shot. Do your homework.
Don't take this the wrong way, but you're talking rubbish. [edit] It also seems you are suggesting obtaining a cracked version of the software, by the "torrentable" comment. Anybody who does this is probably going to get exactly what is deserved.