PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Soldiers Need Loans to eat
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2008, 10:15
Old Ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inquisitor,

I like your suggestion, surely the only way ahead is to sign for what you eat, having selected a menu of choice. Good food at a reasonable price will doubtless bring in the customers; conversely bad or over-priced food will drive them away. The monthly food bill could then be deducted from your pay, or you could pay on the way out. Hello contractors, how do you suppose large restaurants manage?

I do hope though that we never descend to the US idea of a "motorway catering" style of service, with various stalls offering cholesterol-fill rubbish. (Although I must confess that the cinnamon buns at Ramstein are yummy).

The best catering I ever experienced was in the South Catering tent at Port Stanley in '82. Filthy conditions, windy as hell, but the food (all cooked under field conditions) was outstanding. The Service chefs took a real pride in what they were doing and the boys responded. I know the food was free, but the point is that good food can be provided and surely economy of scale should ensure a fair price. The DMR was never very much, yet we seemed to manage when the "uniforms" ran the show.

What do the RN do afloat, I wonder?

Pip pip ON