PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airway width/wx deviation
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2008, 08:17
Yani Yani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for input guys.

So I wonder why airways have a varying width then ? Oceanic airways have width of e.g. 8NM and STARs down to 0.3NM RNP, Required Navigational Performance. Many fellow pilot collegues out there argue that if an airway is xx miles wide, then as long as I am within the confines of that airway, I am complying with the ATC clearance and hence could do a slight heading change/deviation for e.g. a small CB. This does not pertain to radar vectors or if on approach of course.

Also, if my navigational equipment onboard is based on GPS versus e.g. VOR/DME based systems, I believe I would appear to ATC as being much more "accurate" or more on the center of the airway yes ? So that means you guys must be faced with aircraft stating they are smack center of the airway while in reality, based on their nav equipment, they are off center by some distance ? I assume ATC must have some tolerances in instances like this. How do these aircraft appear on your radar screens ?

Or perhaps my thinking on airway width is immaterial as far as ATC goes ? Is it correct to state that ATC assumes that if an aircraft is supposed to be on a specific airway then that aircraft will attempt to stay on that airway as accurately as possible, with tolerances allowed based on nav equipment onboard ?