PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do BA pilots really deserve our support re Openskys?
Old 12th May 2008, 05:17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pontiuspilot
Hear hear - can you see the headlines - BA makes pilots redundant, BA breaks employment rules, BA breaks contracts, BA breaks European law, BA appear in the European court of Human Rights, more Sunday Broadsheet front pages......it's enough to make you realise that BALPA would be on their case, wouldn't that make for an interesting thread on here!
Obviously Hand Solo would support ANY vocal pilot group trying to protect their jobs!
Yup, I think our careers with OS are safe.
The point I am making is this. I believe I may be correct in saying that you need to spend two years with an employer before you receive any protection from redundancy. BA making even a couple of dozen pilots 'legally' redundant (some of whom are pensioners anyway!) is unlikely to make any headlines at all! In any case, as has been mentioned, there are other ways of sifting the wheat from the chaff.

As far as "BALPA would be on their case". That is precisely why the recruitment ban was published. You were warned, and have chosen to operate outside of union protections, and are therefore on your own. Though I very much doubt you are a member anyway!

Of course the most interesting implication is in your assertion that "BA makes pilots redundant," breaks rules, law, contracts etc....

But we are told that 'apparently' this is NOT BA it is an entirely new company named Openskies! Though I do have a vague recollection of others wishing to be BA pilots when it suited, but separate when it did not!

There are many threats to this fledgling airline, only one of which is BALPA's action. There will be NO headlines anywhere, when it folds. Where did you read about Maxjet, and it's redundant pilots?

Last edited by 4468; 12th May 2008 at 09:33.