PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot charged for taking helicopter shopping
Old 11th May 2008, 23:00
malabo

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Ahhh, the chorus of the self-righteous...

All regulations aside, if this pilot was my student I would say job well done. He picked a flat, unobstructed surface, no significant obstacles, no loose debris, elevated so therefore good approaches. No persons or cars on the large open car park area, so no risk or hazard to the public. He is flying a light 2500lb helicopter on skids so lots of HOGE performance margin. For that weight a car park is more than structurally sound - you guys should try a log-truss pad in PNG, or 6 feet of fresh show, with maybe an ice crust layer two feet down.

He'd landed at that location before, and this time again contacted the authority he thought was required and that had previously given approval. Hardly irresponsible.

The authority in Ireland did right to scratch their heads and come up blank for a regulatory infraction. If it had gone to tribunal the pilot could have made them all look foolish.

I've heard of helicopter pilots that have only ever landed on airport runways or large designated helipads. I guess this forum is full of them.

Last edited by malabo; 11th May 2008 at 23:11.