PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anti Airfield letter in todays Daily Mail
Old 11th May 2008, 17:39
K.Lacey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfield Regulation Part 2

Airfield Regulation Part two.

Why do airfields need to be regulated?
When our local dairy farm decided to become an airfield neither the council nor the owners asked the electricity company whether it would be safe with high voltage electricity cables all over the land. I did point out to the council of the dangers of these cables but no one took any notice. Where was the legal requirement to declare a danger? Where was the guidance to the council so that they would know what questions to ask? where was the legislation to ensure that the council would do a good job in granting planning permission? Well, last year I had a very interesting conversation with an electrician working for the electricity board. He said that they had only just discovered that the cables were live and uncovered and if an aircraft had hit one the occupants would have been electrocuted. As these cables were by the barn where aircraft are stored he said that it had been dangerous. So there you have it - those pilots using this airfield had been put in danger and at risk for nearly 10 years. It's not something the owners would publiciize is it? The owner, I was told,had to pay to have the cables replaced. The owner at about this time also sold his business to another company. I wonder if they know that the land is scheduled for development and we have been told that building is due to start on the northern end at the end of this year? Who would invest in a business with a limited lifespan? Or perhaps the owners know something that the rest of us don't - that development won't go ahead!
Secondly there was no environmental impact assessment undertaken - even though a local pilot told us that it should have been - and also Manches the law firm said the same. Where was the legislation and guidance to ensure that this was done? The council said they didn't need to do it - if they had - maybe the overhead electricity cables issue would have been discovered...
So a poor airfield gives aviation a bad name...