PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ready to fly in a Sukhoi 29 / 31 after winter inactivity.....
Old 11th May 2008, 13:11
markkal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ready to fly in a Sukhoi 29 / 31 after winter inactivity.....

Hi Folks,

Last week I went for a flight in a Sukhoi 29 (Privately owned) after the long winter break, nearly 7 months.....without flying.

I had some thoughts before stepping inside this extreme machine (SU 29) after such a long time. Though I have more than 400 hours in the type in 13 years..

Aerobatics is not the issue, comes back quickly after a few sessions...
Landings however require lot's of attention, even more so after such a long break...

I felt a bit uneasy for a short while, then forgot about it as I started the engine, just focussed a bit more on concentration. Everything went OK..

To be able to be "current" on these kind of aircraft requires a lot of training on a regular basis.

Very few instructors are capable to help in this respects...The SEP renewal every 2 years in a ...Cessna does not help neither.

I am not the only one confronted with such an issue..Although we are "Legal" when undertaking such flight, we are not required to take the regular safety / currency checks for a ride in a Cessna 152 like at the local aeroclub

As far as I am concerned never had a "Check" of any kind on such an aircraft and will go on unchecked forever...Just have my tailweel and aerobatics on my licence..And nobody is likely to check me on these.

Here I am stepping in a monster machine after months of inactivity with no one to assess if I am rusty or have some bad habits that I should get rid of

While the PPL guy next to me takes a check ride in a 152 after a month not flying before he is allowed to go