PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA visit to Durham Tees Valley
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2008, 06:59
echobeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GA visit to Durham Tees Valley

Fresh from a successful trip to Tempelhof in the trusty arrow I decided to make the most of the good weather and use the same craft for a trip the North East of UK. This was the first time I thought that I could take myself to a meeting and enjoy the trip both ways by flying. No hard deadlines so though this would be a good idea.

Looking at airfields it seemed that Durham Tees Valley was closest and planned the hop from airfield I fly from just near M25. Notams the day before showed that handling at Durham was compulsory and so having read all the PPrune threads about expense at UK airfields it was with some anxiety about costs that I planned to land here. Also, although visited many European fields in Class D I had not yet done this in UK.

I must say that I was given the most seamless, helpful RIS from Waddington to Durham being handed on from one controller to the next. Durham were most welcoming and cleared me straight in to a right base join (with a little orbiting for big traffic to clear)

On the ground I parked the arrow past a rather gleaming line of Falcon jets. Handling arrived in the form of an air-conditioned MPV. They arranged the refueling and the taxi. They showed me out of the airfield and booked the transport back the next day.
The following day they met me at the security gate and arranged to pay the taxi on account. They helped me take me luggage through the security check and drove me to the plane. En route they called the ATC for me to book out and handed me their phone once they got through. As I left the car they gave me all the print outs of the weather with up to date 215, 214 and the Tafs etc in a folder. (I had all this already from lap top but a really nice addition to have the hard copies)

And what I hear you ask was the enormous charge for this humble VFR GA pilot at such a scene of efficiency and welcoming enthusiasm?

£5 is the answer.

Well I was most impressed! Worth a visit.