PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 340 - lookin' for advice...
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2008, 02:39
lostpianoplayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pet peeves...

...and one of my pet peeves is the argumentative tone that things can take here on Pprune, so, I'm not going to argue. I'm here for education....

Re the parallels between airlines and private flying, I agree to a point, and particularly on the idea of pre-programmed responses to certain events. I try to emulate that approach as much as poss in my own flying. But let's not forget the airlines aim for - and achieve - FAR higher safety levels than we do, at a certain cost. If we were to aim for the same levels of safety, we would only ever fly out of balanced fields, we'd have a fully trained co-pilot on each flight, we'd have turbine engines with ample excess thrust so a serious climb rate is attainable on one engine, we'd have professional flight despatchers, and we'd have....er....an airline

But no, I don't maintain I have more cognitive power than experienced airline pilots. Just a much, much wider range of situations to assess, sometimes, and less SOPs. More privileges. More freedom. More risks.

At private level, therefore, we have the privilege of assessing and operating to our own levels of risk. So we don't, in fact, always fly out of balanced fields, we certainly can't climb out on one engine if we're flying a single and the engine quits, etc.

I'm asking about the concept of lifting off slow, and then if the engine fails, pulling the other one and accepting a controlled crash, cos I'm trying to work out whether I could or should operate into my own private strip. I fly a lot of single engine STOL Ops, (on a different field - my one is actually very long for a normal single engine aircraft) and I guess I can't really see the difference between flying off a short field in a single, and accepting that if the engine fails in the first 5-10 seconds after airborne you're in deep trouble, and doing the same in a twin. Double the engine failure risk, of course, but neglible + neglible = close to negligible, doesn't it? I'm guessing that we're talking about a 5 second period between rotation and a reasonable VMC-proof speed. Again, I'm NOT here to argue - I'm here to learn. And nor am I attached to doing so - I'm just trying to figure it out. But that's the context, and the reason I'm asking...