PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loud noise aboard U.S. flight investigated
Old 11th May 2008, 00:45
SDFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicely put.

The number of posts which make free use of retrospective reasoning in this thread is remarkable. As in (and I paraphrase) .... the loss of the panel was no threat to safety, so where's the problem? Give me a break!

It is YOU GUYS who are the Monday Morning quarterbacks. Since the pilot didn't know what had caused the vibration/sound that was experienced by his crew and caused serious safety concerns (according to reports ....), he could only speculate - NOT GOOD. To fly over an ocean in such a condition is irresponsible, IMO.

A few years ago my wife and I were about 1 hr over the Atlantic at about 1 a.m. in a UA 767, Dulles to Brussels IIRC. A moderate, persistent port-side vibration suddenly started (she noticed it first), in a few minutes the pilot comes on and says we're doing a 180 and heading back to Logan. LOGAN!??, I say to my wife, why not the first available and adequate blasted RWY? (the pilot had admitted know knowing the cause, very rightly). About 15 min later the PIC comes on again and says we'll be landing at Gander instead. Very nice, and so we did.

Turned out to be the air intake panel under the left wing was loose (bolt had sheared) - the vibration stopped about 10 miles out as the airspeed went below some critical value. Another 767 was flown in and we took off in that 4 hours later. That woman did a superb job as PIC and I hope the rest of you would do the same but I'm not so sure .....

IMO heavy metal drivers shouldn't speculate as to cause of the disturbance in such situations. If you don't know what has happened with reasonable certainly, bring her down ASAP (within reason) and accept the thanks of your pax. I'm a GA driver and what do I know? is what many of you will think and respond I daresay. Well guys and gals, do you always get it right sitting there in front? Cannot an experienced professional crew member bring information to you that you otherwise would not be aware of, and cause you to end the flight early for a safety assessment? Why was this not one of those occasions?

Have to say I've detected a somewhat supercilious attitude towards FAs in some posts in this forum and another professional pilot forum. Is that possible, or am I just dissing some of you guys?

Respectfully,
Charles.
ASEL, IR (and not even complex at that ......)

*dons flame-proof suit*

Last edited by SDFlyer; 11th May 2008 at 16:01.