PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orlando to Key West
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2008, 17:47
gfunc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mission accomplished.

Hi Folks,

Just to end the story, I successfully completed my trip from Orlando to Key West this week. Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

The folks at Air Orlando were great and the aircraft was well appointed (CD player, FM radio and autopilot - what novelties). It was a decent price ($130 p/h including tax). On the way down I routed to Pompano beach then low down the shore until reaching Key Largo. ATC services were great, including the busy Orland and Miami approach controllers. I had flight following both ways and my favourite quote of the trip was definately "N826SP cleared along the shore at or BELOW 500ft". I night stopped in Marathon (cheaper accomodation) and made my way to Key Wet the next day.

On the way back I went wet of Miami via Boca Raton, which was a bit odd as we were the only piston single on the airfield and fuel was more expendive than at Key West ($7 a gallon!). The good new is that not only was this a great trip I think it counts as a qualifying cross country for a CPL.

For anyone interested I have (a lot of) photos online:

http://picasaweb.google.com/garethfantastic/

Definately a recommended trip!

Thanks again for all your input guys!

Cheers,

Gareth.