PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Cheyenne Series Questions
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2008, 17:45
portsharbourflyer
Educated Hillbilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry Dreamland, but SAS also stands for Stability Augmentation System, which I was referring to in my post. However my description wasn't quite accurate as I did say damp out natural modes of motion of the aircraft, where it fact it can also enhance stick fixed and stick free static stability.

Please note one of the posters above did actually point out that SAS can also mean Stall Avoidance System (which you are referring to). However the first poster in this thread did actually use the term Stability Augmentation System in reference to the Cheyenne.

The system is as His Dudeness describes but his decription makes it sound as though it is for stall prevention, quite simply the system prevents the control forces becoming too light with an aft c of g (essentially what His Dudeness stated). With very light control forces then pulling up into a stall too easily is obvioulsy a possibility but with the control force too light it can become very difficult to hold a steady attitude. Longitudinal static stability (controls free) is measured as a function of control force on the stick in relation to speed change, the SAS on the Cheyenne is therefore a Stability Augmentation System and not a Stall prevention System.

Last edited by portsharbourflyer; 10th May 2008 at 21:09.