PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: AsA ATC staffing levels
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2008, 22:31
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue,

From my recollection the Tassie experiment was an abject failure because of a few factors.

1) Workload, the students were doing full time uni and full time ATC training; on some days they were doing 12 hour days and then had to go home and study/do assignments.

2) The students were almost always school leavers/uni drop outs; there were significant 'maturity' issues happening in that environment. If you weren't of true uni age, you couldn't get by or afford to give up your other work; or if you did you worked other jobs too on top to get by.

3) The culture of the place was these people are the best of the best, and those at ATC locations were told that too; much pleasure was taken by ATC crushing the little upstarts coming from that useless uni. And the upstarts didn't like it cause they were the best of the best.

I'm sure there were many other reasons it didn't work. But regarding the ATC training, there were more ATC instructors in Launceston than there are in the current college. But probably the same instructor/student ratio as about now. Although I believe it was one on one instruction for the most part, unlike the current environment.