PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yanks in the Falklands War?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2008, 19:00
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is a very derogatory post, considering the stirling record of a wide variety of US personnel over an extended period - it's easy for those who denigrate Ben Affleck's contribution to WW2 to also conveniently overlook the fact that Clark Gable was not only a real life air gunner, but also sank Bungo Pete. If it were not for a history of over 50 years of finally wrenching that wheel thingy round then many of us would not be here now to celebrate the repeated victory of muscles over friction and bent wheely thingys.

This isn't only a yank bashing opportunity (for, in truth, I like our colonial rebels quite excessively) - I would like to record that I once had the privilege of accompanying Richard Todd around an air museum (his son worked there with us at the time) and he was of course famous for breaching the Eder and Mohne dams, and capturing Rommel - events celebrated in films starring Guy Gibson in the lead role in the 50's.

Frankly it amazes me that so few people bother to get their facts right when making films.

Dave