PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yanks in the Falklands War?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2008, 17:50
taxydual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Years after Corporate I met an American who had retired from a very, very,very secret US listening base in North Yorkshire (near Harrogate). We became very friendly and over the five years I knew him we exchanged numerous correspondence.

On a visit to see him, in Florida, he requested that I took along my Beret and medals because he wished me to accompany him to a local event which celebrated the US equivalent of our Remembrance Day.

He was stunned to find I wore the South Atlantic Medal (with Rosette), he purposely introduced me to two of his ex-colleagues (also ex v,v,v,s US listening base).

After the ceremonies at a Veterans of Foreign Wars 'Club house' (I don't know what else to call it), beer was taken, lamps were swung and sandbags were pulled up.

In quiet conversations (and grilling's that they gave me) it dawned on me that they knew an awful lot more that I did (and I'm fairly well read up on Corporate) about the invasion, our response and the whereabouts of Argentinian forces. They even knew the Orbat of Argentinian Forces around Fox Bay on West Falkland on a specific date. The details they recalled were amazing.

What they told me (very guardedly) obviously cannot be officially verified, but the clarity in which they recalled events meant either they were actually present (but they weren't) or they were watching/listening extremely well.

To the three (all USN/NSA) Anglophiles (two now dead, one I've never heard from since, and their other colleagues) a sincere Thank You for the vast amount of intel that you passed to UK Forces through whatever means.

RIP Bill and Russ.