PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mode 'S' mandatory for gliders.
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2008, 15:43
ComJam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thankyou, the NCL to ADN route was being used as an example of how it can be much more economical to route "off airways". But, then, I think you knew that really...

so how will gliders fitting transponders lessen that risk? Gliders are not in that mix but very fast military types most certainly are and it can be quite difficult to keep out of their way with or without transponders and ACAS
Oh but gliders ARE in that mix, over Northumberland, an extremely busy bit of airspace, with Gliders, Light Aircraft, Military fast-jets and the ocassional "off route" medium commercial aircraft. Only one of these types does not have a transdonder fitted (generally, i know not ALL light aircraft have).

With fast military aircraft it is not "difficult to keep out of their way...with ACAS" it gives ample warning, even a simple TCAD system is sufficient IF the threat is squwaking.

Like many others you seem to ignore real risk when it suites you and blow up perceived risk beyond all reasonable proportions.
If by "real risk" you mean operating outside CAS, it's not because it suits me, it's because it's my job. Not all "commercial" aircraft are involved in ferrying punters from A to B. Some of us have tasks to fly that require us to be outside CAS. How else am I going Flight Check the SAB VOR or the Inverness ILS or the Doncaster anything?

Far from "blowing up a perceived risk" i'm acknowledging a known risk. I've had late sightings of gliders while on task and I've had TCAD / TCAS alerts on Military fast movers....the latter is far less concerning because the alerting systems make you aware of the threat nice and early. There is then no need to "out-manoeuvre" it as you are fully aware of where it is and becoming visual with it is much easier.