PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pan US trip any takers?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2008, 05:09
Keygrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50/50 sounds fair.

Who will actually "own" the aircraft at the time of the flight? Are you sure the owners won't mind us playing around with the aircraft for 8 to 10 days?

I presume "my" 50% would be left for me to plan and decide on the route, altitude etc, fuel load, etc - otherwise I cannot really be P1, can I?

As it appears to be a delivery flight then I also presume it's just the cost of "fuel only" - so we should hunt out the cheapest fuel and make those the stops? 10 gallons an hour is it? So with avgas costing, say, $5 a gallon - that's only $50 an hour. Excellent.

Overnight accommodation will be be 4 or 5 nights of your choosing and 4 or 5 of mine?

Who would be doing my checkout on the complex?

I presume the aircraft will be at "St George", Utah - as that appears to be the nearest Utah based airfield to Las Vegas - and 118 miles by road.

Great circle distance to La Guardia (random pick in New York) is 1,850 miles(ish), crossing terrain in Colorado reaching 12,500 feet (and mountains for the first 700 miles). Sounds exciting! 185 to 231 miles a day in flight. Two hours a day - rest of the time visiting places en-route? Will stop me getting too bored, sitting as a passenger whilst you do your five two hour flights.

About 10 hours each then? $500 for the aircraft but 10 nights hotel at what - I've seen hotels at $40 a night and at $140 a night - so an average of $90? $900 plus the $500 for the flight. That brings the hourly rate to only $140.

Lot of down time though, if only doing two hours flying. Guess that will be expensive - but another $500 should cover the ten days do you think? So about $2000 for the trip all in - excluding one way flight to Utah and one way back from New York.

That makes the hourly rate for the Arrow about $250? Agreed? Plus whatever it costs for the checkout of course.

What experience do *you* have with the USA, the complex aircraft, mountain flying and instrument flight conditions? You'll be able to look after us OK?

What are "all the toys", by the way?