PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Canada
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2008, 16:42
l_reason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will love the flying here in Canada, if I may I’ll make a few recommendations.

- If you are going to make most of your flying I would get your hands on a CFS (Canadian Flight Supplement). It has all the information you’ll need about the airspace (such as downtown Toronto and Niagra falls sight seeing routs), airports, flight planning and those intercept orders mentioned above are on the last page.
http://www.navcanada.ca/NavCanada.as...FS/default.xml

-Consider getting a Toronto VNC and start making some plans as to where to go. My personal recommendations would be to make a day trip east to the 1000 Islands located at the mouth of the St Laurance river. Another must see would be the Muskoka area 100 miles north of Toronto just to see the edge of what Canada really looks like. Some of the most beautiful wilderness around.

-As mentioned above about the radio communication here is slightly different from what your used to in UK. The majority of small airfields don’t have operating control tower, rather a unicom that will likely only give you a generalized airfield advisory something like. “C-FACB this is Tillsongburg unicom the wind is out of the west at 10 knots, active runway 25, traffic is 2 Harvard trainers in the area”. Communication with any control towers similar to that in the UK with a few exceptions. Altimeter settings, call sign, VFR transponder code is 1200, altitude is always ASL, rather then “flight information service” you should ask for “VFR flight following”.

- mentioned above was that “Discussion of lunch options” was acceptable. This is certainly not the case unless they were using 123.45. Please feel free to let them know.