PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Research on the BAC 1-11 electrical systems
Old 8th May 2008, 14:10
dixi188

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
BAC 1-11 electrical system was designed be a chap called David Jones (so he told me) at Weybridge. I think it was the first airliner with "Split Bus" 3 phase system which most types have followed since. Previous types had parallel systems where all generators fed the same main busbar.

When I was an apprentice at Hurn (69-73) various developments of the 1-11 were proposed including the -700 with "Re-Fanned" Spey (later Tay)
with seats upto about 140, the -800 with GE engine with seats upto 160, and the X-11 which would have had a six abreast cabin and seats for about 180.

The BAC 3-11 would have been about the size of the Airbus A310 with mixed class seating for about 180, and all tourist for about 250.
It was to have had RR RB211-22's initially, the same as the Tristar, to cut development costs. Stretched versions were on the drawing board.

As stated above the Concord was sucking all development money and even though the 3-11 had letters of intent from 4 airlines including American and Braniff and would have been in service a year or two before the A300, it was scrapped.
Another missed British oppertunity.

As an aside, the only good thing about this is that the 3-11 was to be 2 crew from the start and if it had been built there might be a lot of them as freighters now instead of A300's and I might not have a job as Flight Engineer.

Happy days.