PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the AOA's role?
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2008, 12:11
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the AOA's role?

In recent times it seems that very little has come out from the AOA as to what is happening. I do know that career altering decisions are being discussed such as the T+C for basings, 'compromising' on bypass pay, RA65 pay etc.

The AOA has had some success in this. CX in its usual style tried to railroad a UK deal through, got caught out by the AOA so CX in retaliation reneged on its promise to put ALL C+Ters on original(A mostly) scales as of a month ago...and then tried to blame its about face on the AOA. Good one Phil/Nick!

Since around 2002, it appears to be me that the AOA has moved from a proactive 'seeking improvements with confrontation' role to a more defensive role. It appears that time is spent defending changes to our contract or helping to minimise the negative outcome of new contracts, such as was done with UFO scale negotiations.

So right now we have somewhere between 30-50+ Direct Entry Captains from KA freighters and Oasis and a similar number of Direct Entry FOs from the same 2 organisations. Maybe I missed the newsletter but these events appear to have gone unreported by the AOA. Whilst I am at best only a bush lawyer, CX is skirting with the words of and most definitely the intent of our contract - just like the do with all the 'normallys' in our RP agreements.

I do know that the AOA is considering paycuts for A scales as part of an RA65 deal! The 'onerous' bypass pay issue would account for, very roughly, 5% or less of our entire salary bill over the next 10 years. If you take into account our other costs of employment, such as housing, education etc, then the final percentage would be lower still at 2-3%. So I must admit to seeing 'compromising' on bypass pay as a deal breaker, but thats just my opinion.

What's my point?
Well, what role do we want the AOA to serve in future? Is it there just to dot the i's, cross the t's and ensure CX mostly (or 'normally' in roster agreement speak) stick to our contract? Kind of like our personal accountant/lawyer who we ring occasionally if we need clarification on our contract?

Or do we want to go back to the (good ole?) days of confrontation over indignation? Do we start standing up for ourselves - contract compliance as a starter - over the imbecilic way CX has back doored DECs, insulted B scalers with a 3% payrise, insulted A scalers by reneging on the CX promise of A scales for >55 by Apr 08?

I would dearly love to know the results of the survey, in general terms, as that would help me to know the future direction of the AOA. Many of my colleagues think we should still take CX on - or as someone posted, finally take on the bully. Some colleagues think any confrontation is futile and they are simply here doing their time.

Makes it hard for guys/gals deciding to join the GC when you don't know if you are entering into a military action or a 'keep the peace' role.

So I invite members and non members alike to discuss what is the way forward.