PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - City Salute
Thread: City Salute
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2008, 11:35
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Fair cop guv.

Colonel,

I was expecting a post such as yours, and yes.. there is an element of truth in what you say. As for the 'put up or shut up' perspective, sorry - thats bollks though. The guys on ARRSE have a different outlook and although I enjoy posting there, long may we embrace diversity!

I would agree 100% that it helped and if I was a little less robust in my perspective, then perhaps I might have done my 'case' a little more good. I thought that Timothy West was inspired (masses of credibility and no audience fatigue), Ross Kemp..? Well, iffy at best, and you get JC onboard to make headlines and to get the right demographic watching, although I know he has been tireless in his support for the troops and that gets a massive tick from me. But it was a shame that BBC coverage lead this morning with news of his Chinook gag. Yes, funny - but the event was worth more than one person trying to stand above the subject matter.

Lets consider more practical matters - the venue. The Naval college at Greenwich would be perfect. Brilliant arcs to see the flypasts (I blinked and probably never saw the Chinooks from the ground last night), superb arcs from which to view, an element of connection and a better setting that you would be hard pressed to buy anywhere in the world. Easier to prep, minimal disruption, timeless military elegance and atmosphere.. what more could you ask for?

It was wonderful to see people actually doing something practical and yes.. although it was very much a rough diamond, it was a diamond nonetheless. Now all that it needs is polishing. The greatest shows in the UK are those which evolve and move on, and which actively thrive on negative feedback. I accept your point though - although I was trying to offer constructive criticism, perhaps this probably wasn't the time or place for it. I will endeavour to be less of a miserable git in future - I had a lump in my throat last night and the pollen from the hot weather was causing an eye irritation.

edit:

Last edited by Al R; 8th May 2008 at 11:51.