PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - City Salute
Thread: City Salute
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2008, 10:32
Ray Dahvectac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that need reminders (as I suspect this one will get as much advance warning, traliers, etc):

A Heroes' Welcome
BBC 1 Sunday 11th May 15:30 to 16:25

The private grounds of Windsor Castle play host to this musical and military spectacular in honour of the men and women who serve in today's armed forces, in the presence of Her Majesty the Queen and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh. Kate Silverton presents highlights of last night's special event, including the drive of the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery, the musical ride of the Household Cavalry and a finale tribute to soldiers returning home from active service.
But getting back to City Salute ... I am sure the intentions behind it were the best, the cause it is supporting is worthy indeed, and it's great to see whose who have served the country getting even a small part of the recognition they deserve, but at the same time it somehow didn't quite gel for me.

Perhaps the scale of the event was too small - and it showed. Although it was a live event and therefore more difficult to cover it seemed under-rehearsed, and also poorly produced (the pre-event interview with Jeremy Clarkson was shown with abysmal lip-synch).

And why the Typhoon flypast? OK, they are nice, shiny and new(ish) but I wasn't aware of their having played a major role in Iraq/Afghanistan to date. Or is that why they were there - the rest of the nation's air assets are over-committed?