PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Charged a dual rate up until GFPT?
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2008, 04:12
ABX
AustralianMade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Deej,

Firstly, I would do a little research - ask questions here on prune and make some phone calls to other schools etc - and find out if it is standard practise to charge dual when you are alone in the plane. Then plan your next step based on the information you have at hand.

Changing schools is always an option, but it seems to me that you are holding all the aces at the moment. An FTO is a business. Like all businesses they rely on the customers to exist. A simple discussion with them - on pleasant terms - and an explanation that you don't like paying dual when you're the only person in the plane and you feel that this is a bit out of order, followed by a simple and clear request for them to cease charging dual and credit your account with moneys already over paid is likely to have a positive result for you.

This really only works if you make sure to keep your temper under control and not allow yourself to say anything in the heat of the moment. Don't allow yourself to be intimidated by the other person losing their temper though!

If they refuse, that is only round one.

Following rounds would involve much of the same thing until you feel that you can either live with the status quo or move to a new school.

Just remember this: FTOs are similar to real estate agents in as much as they would like you to believe that something simple is really quite difficult. Not only that you cannot do it without them but, they are God's gift to you. (Like they're the ones doing you a favour!)

This is not so, in the case of the FTO you are the one holding the dollars and they are providing you with a service - not the other way around.

In the case of real estate agents - why bother at all? I have bought and sold numerous properties without the 'help' of an agent and each transaction was perfectly safe and successful and each transaction saved me multiple thousands of dollars.

To summarise my personal thoughts: I would always try to work it out with the school you're at, but don't be afraid to take your business and your money to a new school if it comes to that.

ABX