PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-australia...Tell me it isnt so?
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2008, 23:41
FullySickBro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers Krust, I did indeed read the post and perhaps Jetsbest post deserved a longer and more thought out response- but hey I was tired.

I'm am neither here nor there with seniority based (i.e. number given based on date of joining) vs any other system, however the debate has as many valid points against (of which I do not time to list) as there are for...

An 'opportunity' you say? Well yes to a degree but when push comes to shove its the date of joining which has the final say... Why not a system whereby seniority counts for a majority of ones promotion but also included is an element of past training/ check history and perhaps even a small dose of personal development as judged by a designated mentor?? Just a thought...

With relevance to todays environment, I think that in its day seniority systems may have made sense for a group of aviators with largely the same experience base (well seasoned GA, regional, military etc.) and a very stagnated progression towards upgrades. However in todays environment it appears (to me anyway) that for a given S/O or F/O position there is a great splay of experience (on my course the experience ranged from 1500hrs piston through to 8000hr jet time and everything in between). Now in an fluid environment where upgrades could perhaps occur fairly quickly within this varied experience base then perhaps the 'opportunity' for promotion would be better based on more than just seniority number so as to find the best candidate?

Perhaps for a startup airline such as Voz which I am guessing will have a widely varied experience base, this could be a good opportunity to try a different approach?

As a funny aside, VOz gave me a call and when asked how much I'd expect to be paid I said I would need to gross at least 100k in the first year. Never heard back after that...

Let the debate continue...