PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mode 'S' mandatory for gliders.
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2008, 23:18
ComJam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gpn01: we seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet now, good stuff

ZeBedie:
err, yes, more acceptable
How many people would have to be killed for it to become unacceptable?

You should be grounded until you have TCAS. My aeroplane has TCAS and I don't want to share the sky with you. Don't you care about my passengers?
Sorry, i wasn't totally clear there, one type I fly (Falcon 20) has full TCAS II (ACAS) the other has TCAD (light weight version of TCAS enhancing SA, but without the TA/RA's of the full system), they are Beech 200's which are below the weight limit for full TCAS requirement, but ARE Mode S equipped.

If you think you need the highest possible standard of safety, you should stay IFR, inside CAS.
And you should read an entire thread before you post, I already explained that in the operations we fly we are UNABLE to remain IFR within controlled airspace at all times. Incidently, I DO think I need the highest standard of flight safety and do my best to adhere to it at all times.

Here's hoping the CAA introduce mandatory Mode S transponders for all light aircraft and gliders flying anywhere in UK airspace. I genuinely can't understand why you guys don't want to be electronically visible to the rest of us. Luddites