PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Search for missing Cessna...
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2001, 03:49
Kiltie

Arrow

I originally posted a thread concerning this tragedy on Rumours and News, but the thraed was locked and transferred to this forum by the moderator.

regrettably there has been no further news on this missing aircraft. The two POB are still missing with no sign of wreckage. I and many others joined in with a PFA search after the officialdom stood down in an effort to try and continue with something positive, but to no avail.

I knew the pilot of this flight, having flown with him in his previous group D days and as a fare paying passenger on my flights. I have my own ideas as to the fate of the aircraft as being classic CFIT (and this is meant with no disrespect to the deceased, whom I'm sure if they were here today would emphasise these points):

NO flight plan. Hence NO overdue action. NO specific route need be specified on such, indeed it can be filed under VFR stating your fuel endurance and ETA.

NO PPR requested at the destination, despite the airfield having that requirement. Hence NO overdue action.

The missing aircraft was not reported as overdue until 6 hours after the (assumed) time of "crash" due to these shortfalls, when a business colleague telephoned to ask why the crew hadn't turned up for a meeting.

Buy TRONs etc., people, when flying over such hostile terrain. There is not enough emphasis put on respect for terrain and weather conditions in the PPL syllabus, KNOW YOUR AND THE AIRCRAFT'S LIMITATIONS AND STICK TO THEM. A pilot who turns back is respected by all for his decision.

I did some stupid "brave" things in my PPL days and luckily enough got away with them. **** was obviously not as fortunate.

Condolences to their families.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/For...ML/000199.html

[This message has been edited by Kiltie (edited 19 January 2001).]