PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR On Top
Thread: VFR On Top
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2001, 16:19
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy VFR On Top

I know for a PPL without ratings VFR on top of an under cast is prohibited in the UK but has I think always been permitted in France for French PPlers.(obviously so long as the descent is not IMC). This was in the days of our respective national licenses. Of course all new licenses here and in France are JAA licenses. I am therefore intrigued as to whether we Brits are now permitted to fly VFR on top in France, whether the French continue to remain able to do so, or whether we have managed to embody some restrictions in our ANO that cunningly restrict a JAA license issued in the UK to prohibit VFR on top. If not, does it make any difference if you have not converted your old national license to a JAA one?

If the restriction is in place so much presumably for a set of common regulations, always assuming the flying syllabus for a JAA PPL in France is much the same as here. Is this yet another JAA anomaly or are the French just better at navigation than us?

Is it too much to hope that our national IMC rating should be recognised in Europe. There was talk of this.